Register of Deeds Wayne Rash has had the great honor to serve as your Register since December 1, 2003, when he was appointed by the Caldwell County Board of Commissioners to fill the unexpired term of retiring Register Lois Greene. He won his first full term in office in 2004, and was re-elected in 2008, 2012, and 2016.
Accomplishments in office
- Created an online ordering system for vital record copies and for marriage license applications.
- Began electronic recording of real estate documents, streamlining a time and labor intensive process.
- Digitized all real estate records going back to the formation of the county in 1841, ensuring they are all available online.
- Started an on-going restoration process of oldest real estate and marriage records.
- Upgraded computer and software technology.
- Installed a property fraud alert system which advises citizens when documents containing their name are recorded.
- Implemented a new electronic birth registration system which allows customers to obtain birth certificates from Caldwell County even when born in another county.
- Fought identity theft by redacting social security and driver’s license numbers from all Caldwell County real estate records.
- Obtained professional certification through the North Carolina Association of Registers of Deeds for the Register and over 80% of the staff.
- Provided access to the AOC judgment file computer system in the Register of Deeds office to assist title researchers.
- Contracted with a company to implement new back-up and disaster recovery services to better protect Caldwell County's records.
Professional and Civic work
- Past President, International Association of Government Officials
- Chairman, North Carolina Electronic Recording Council
- Past President, North Carolina Association of Register of Deeds
- Legislative Co-Chair of the North Carolina Association of Registers of Deeds
- Member, NC Secretary of State’s Electronic Mortgage Closing Advisory Committee
- Past Member, NC Chief Justice's Commission on Professionalism
- Vice-Chair, Caldwell County Board Of Health
- Advisory Council Member, Local Government Federal Credit Union
- Advisory Board Member, State Employees Credit Union - Granite Falls
- B.A. from the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill with double majors in Communications and Political Science.
- Chancellor's Certificate in Public Administration from the University of Missouri at St. Louis.
- Advanced Register of Deeds certification from the School of Government at the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill.
- South Caldwell High School graduate
- Two children: Caleb and Caroline