Our office records and maintains vital records which include birth, death, and marriage certificates for these events that occur in Caldwell County. If you were not born in Caldwell County and you were born in 1971 or later, we can use the North Carolina Electronic Birth Registration System to obtain your birth certificate, regardless of the county in which you were born. Public records we have here in Caldwell County are available for public inspection between the hours of 8am-5pm Monday through Friday.
You can also access our vital records indexes online at http://188.8.131.52/CaldwellNC/.
Who can get a copy of a vital record?
Anyone can get a copy of a vital record recorded in our office. However, North Carolina law limits access to certified copies of vital records, which are sealed with the official seal of this office and are commonly used for identity verification purposes. Only the following people can get a certified copy of your birth, death, or marriage certificate:
- Your spouse (currently married)
- Child or Step-child
- Your parent
- Those seeking information for legal determination of personal or property rights
- Authorized agent, attorney, or legal representative of the person whose certificate is being requested
What is required to obtain a certified copy of a vital record?
REQUIRED IDENTIFICATION & DOCUMENTATION
Must provide one of the following forms of identification :
- Valid Drivers License or Picture ID card issued by one of the fifty US state governments, the United States government, or a US territorial government (Guam, Puerto Rico, American Samoa, the Nothern Mariana Islands, or the US Virgin Islands); or
- Valid Passport; or
- Valid United States Armed Forces ID; or
- Foreign ID's will be accepted only at the discretion of the Register of Deeds based on their ability to be verified.
REQUESTS MADE IN PERSON
You may visit the Register of Deeds office in person to obtain a certified copy during regular business hours. The fee is $10.00 per certificate and you must present a valid government issued picture ID in order to obtain a certified copy.
Click here to submit an online request.
REQUESTS VIA MAIL
If you cannot visit our office you may obtain a certified copy by mail. If requesting a copy by mail, please send a $10.00 check or money order along with a self addressed stamped envelope to the Caldwell County Register of Deeds. The request must be signed by the individual making the request. In addition, the requestor must submit a copy of a government issued picture ID.
Click here for the printable Vital Records Request Form.
Birth Records of Adopted Persons
Birth Certificates of individuals who were adopted are not available at our office and are only on file at the NC State Office of Vital Records. Contact NC Vital Records for assistance with adoption records at (919) 733-3526.